-

-

Thursday, August 4, 2016

No pictures

Amber here again. There are no pictures from our visit to Yad Vashem, the Holocaust history museum on Mount Herzl. Cameras aren't allowed. They shouldn't be. You should go.

I had nothing in my journal from my first trip three years ago. I remember the numb shock, the feeling as though I couldn't see one more picture of starvation and slaughter or I would break into pieces.

I remembered the first panel describing the rise of antisemitism in Germany. It was an eerily familiar call to national pride. But the next panel traced it further back -- my own St. Augustine was quoted in the next exhibit, commanding that the Christians should "slay not" the Jews in the 4th century, that they should survive but not thrive. I quote Augustine often, but not that.


The description continued. Christians blamed Jews for the crucifixion of Christ, calling them "God-killers." Everywhere Christianity took root in the world, the display proclaimed, antisemitism came in after them.

I revolted inwardly at the line, but knew more than they had written. They left it there, not citing Luther's famous little book called, "The Jews and their Lies." They left out that St. John Chrysostom held, as most of the church fathers did, that the sins of all Jews were communal and endless. They left out St. Ambrose, who would not only not repent of his burning of a synagogue, but thought all of them should be, and he told the emperor so. I quote all of these guys. But not that.

This is why, no matter what my sermon is about, or how much it might be completely off track from the main point of what I'm trying to say, I call out the John the gospel writer every single time he starts in on "the Jews" when it's in our lectionary. John! He's just the absolute worst. I know his community was beleaguered, ostracized, oppressed, and I like to imagine that had he known what atrocities his Gospel would have some hand in, he would've changed his tone. But I call him out every time, and hope to call out our own awareness, too. Remember our part; if our saints are capable of this, what of us?

An entry on Yad Vashem, and I barely got you past the first triptyph. But you should go. You should remember, too.

2 comments:

  1. Very powerful. Thank you, Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to have a long conversation (mostly me asking questions and listening) over some good wine when you return. You have so much to say here - from VERY informed opinion. And I would like to know much more. Thank you for sharing all of that, bringing transparency to past evils where the spiritual belief and the cultural reality mix.

    ReplyDelete